Household goods: Little helpers for dining, cooking and storage
Sometimes they are our last resort in the kitchen. Scales, peelers, can openers and such make our life easier. When all the cooking’s done, your meal will look its best on modern dishes. And the leftovers can be stored in containers. Stylight gives you an overview on the most important household helpers.
For eating and drinking
- Dishes: For the smaller budget we have inexpensive sets of dishes at USD 20 to USD 50. Most are made of porcelain; the finer ones are made of glass. Ceramic or plastic dishes are best for households with kids.
- Flatware: Alongside the standard eating flatware, including table knives, forks and spoons, there is an especially large of selection of specialty knives. You can choose between fish knives with a rounded shape, steak knives with distinctive blades, curved paring knives and small fruit and vegetable knives.
- Bowls: in different shapes and sizes. For soups, a bowl with a 5 inch diameter is your best bet, while dessert is better in a smaller 4 inch diameter ceramic dish. Fruit bowls often come in metal, wood or glass.
- Favorite brands: CreaTable, Sagaform, Stelton
For cooking and baking
- Pots, pans, roasting pans: mostly steel or cast iron, along with cooking utensils – indispensable.
- Peelers and Graters: Styles with levers and crank handles make for light work
- Can openers: While the more economical styles have two handles, there is a more expensive version with one handle and a stainless steel bow that ensures a secure grip.
- Weighing Scales: Alongside the modern digital scales, retro models with analog display are especially popular as eye-catchers.
- Sieves: There are many different kinds, not just the fine and coarse meshed sieves but also noodle sieves, flour sieves and tea strainers.
- Baking Accessories: from cake pans to cookie cutters
- Favorite brands: WMF, Rösle, Fackelmann
- Airtight containers: made from plastic or glass with silicon seals. Snap-and-Lock lids make them air- and watertight. Capacity from 7 to 50 oz. Some sets can be stacked inside each other for easy stowage.
- Vacuum flasks: hold tea, coffee and other drinks pleasantly warm. The Thermos® cans are 17 to 34 oz in size, made of plastic or stainless steel, and are ideal for coffee to go.
- Favorite brands: Emsa, Lock & Lock, Alfi
Whether you’re living alone, house-sharing or a family household: Household goods like dishes, can openers, storage containers, pans and baking accessories help us organize and cope with our everyday lives.